Hello and welcome to another installment of my blog!
It is hard to believe but as of today I have officially been in New Zealand for one whole month! On the one hand, when I think about all of the things that I have done in the past month it feels like such a long time, but on the other hand I feel like I have just gotten here!
This past week has been pretty low-key. I handed in my first University of Auckland essay! I compared two social service organizations that are helping disadvantaged communities in Northland for my geography class. Apparently I am going to meet one of the people in charge of one of the organizaitons during my geography field trip which leaves tomorrow! I am really excited for the geography field trip. We leave tomorrow morning and are gone until Friday. We will be traveling around Northland and putting everything we have learned over the past month into practice. We will get to see places we have discussed and have lectures from people we have heard about. It should be a really fun and educational week.
Here are a few note-worthy events from the week:
1. After a summer spent traveling throughout clinics in the US I made it to my first NZ clinic (for one of my friends). It seemed a lot nicer than US clinics and almost everything is covered under their universal health care system!
2. I finally saw all of the Lord of the Rings movies. It was really cool to see Mt. Doom on the big screen after doing it myself.
3. My friend and I went on an adventure to walk the Auckland Harbour Bridge. After walking a few km from downtown, we reached the bridge but couldn't figure out how to actually walk across it - there were no sidewalks! So we ended up going to a park nearby and just looking at the bridge. It was right on the water and a beautiful day so it was really nice! We then had dinner (a really good salad) at the Viaduct, which is on the harbour and really nice.
4. A few of us went to see the movie Invictus (just came out in NZ) and it got me really excited to see rugby games here! Also a sidenote about movie theaters here: they have assigned seats - my ticket had a row and seat number on it.
5. On Saturday 5 of us woke up really early to catch a 6:30 bus to the Polynesian market about 30 minutes away. It is supposedly the biggest Polynesian market in the world, but lets just say there must not be very many large Pollynesian markets. They had a lot of t-shirt, appliance and produce stands. I think I'll go back to buy produce in the future, but since we were all leaving for the geography field trip, we couldn't really stock up. It was a really cool experience going there though. Then after the market we went to the Auckland Botanic Gardens which were absolutely beautiful! They had a sculpture competition going on so there were sculptures throughout the gardens made by NZ artists which were really cool to look at. There were some forest walking trails which were a little hard to find but fun to walk on. And of course there were beautiful flowers! We had a tough time with the bus system but I think I have a better idea of where things are around Auckland and how to get places which is always good.
6. Today I went to the Auckland Museum which was really nice. It is located in Auckland Domain which is a huge park with duck ponds, nature walks and gardens. I didn't have much time to look around, but it's located pretty cloes so I am excited to go back! The museum had 3 floors. The first floor had a lot of Maori exhibits which corrolated with what I learned in my NZ culture class. The second floor had a lot of New Zealand history. The third floor had international events and New Zealand's part in it (such as WWI and WWII) - there was even an exhibit on the Holocaust which I found really intersting. There was also a special exhibit on roses which was really awesome. Every sunday during the summer, the Domain has a free jazz concert. It was raining out so I didn't stay for long, but it was really cool to hear live jazz in the park - I definitely want to go hang out there next week!
That's pretty much all the update I have for now. However, I've been meaning to write some interesting things I have learned since coming to New Zealand and figured this would be a good place for it. So here you go:
1. New Zealand has 20 million sheep and 4 million people. Talk about a ratio! Apparently there used to be way more sheep.
2. Tourism is New Zealand's biggest earning industry
3. One third of New Zealand's population lives in Auckland
4. England's Queen is still the head of state in New Zealand - although she does not have any political authority.
5. A kiwi can refer to a fruit, national bird or a person (New Zealanders are called kiwis)
6. The cross-walks are one of my favorite parts of New Zealand. When they turn green an animal kiwi sound goes off. Then in busier sections of the city, you can cross the street diagonally which is awesome and makes so much sense.
That's all I can come up with for now - but I'll be sure to sprinkle little facts throughout my posts as I have been doing so far!
Also, I put a new album up with all Auckland pictures. They include pictures of the places I have been in the past few days, and also just some streets that are around me. I also finally took some pictures of the apartment (which was a little messy). Here they are: http://picasaweb.google.com/LSOL817/Auckland?feat=directlink
Hope all is well with you and that you have a great week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Everyday seems so fun and exciting!! The pictures of Auckland are great. It looks like such a cool city. The blog is still so interesting and i hope you have a great time in Northland!!
ReplyDeleteLoved seeing all the places that you go! Can't wait for the next adventure installment.
ReplyDeleteyour kitchens messy and your tv is small but i think its def still worth it. Have a great time. that rock with the fire was cool.
ReplyDelete